All people dream, but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind,
Wake in the morning to find that it was vanity.

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people,
For they dream their dreams with open eyes,
And make them come true.

D. H. Lawrence

Friday, January 8, 2010

Lock, Stock and Barrel

A big reason that grant applications are not funded is that they are incomplete. I double checked this with several arts granting agencies. Each Program Officer I asked told me grant applications were most frequently disqualified because they were incomplete - not every question was answered or there was missing information.

Then I got brave and asked what percentage of applications submitted were incomplete. You’ll never guess the answer – it was most applications! I kid you not. Now, I dug a bit deeper and asked what “most” meant. For reasons unknown, they would not tell me.

Despite not knowing the absolute truth – I do think that we can engage in a bit of estimation to identify the number of grants seriously in the running. My guess would be that “most” means 60% (probably higher but I suspect it wouldn’t be less). That means that if you apply for a grant along with 199 other artists – about 120 grant applications would be rejected out of hand. This narrows your competition down from 199 other applications to a mere 80.

So, I guess this means that we give 'em what they want - like totally.

Note on the phrase – Lock, Stock and Barrel (meaning “the whole thing”) – the earliest use of the phrase appears to come from the letters of Sir Walter Scott in 1817. "Like the High-landman's gun, she wants stock, lock, and barrel, to put her into repair." Thank you to http://www.phrases.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment